Hello Underhanded Rustlers! The Rust Community Team has extended the submission deadline for the Underhanded Rust Contest to March 31,

1. We wanted to help give people new to Rust a little more time to get ramped up on the language. As part of this, we have developed a few new resources to get you on your way.

First, we have created a simple example we’re calling quad-bank. It builds out a simple payment processor using a number of popular Rust libraries, like the SQL ORM Diesel, and the web frameworks Iron and Rocket. It also has contains what’s probably the simplest exploit possible, zero authentication and no bounds checking on transfers. Feel free to lift any code from this project.

Second, we have created a dedicated IRC channel for the contest #underhanded-rust where we can help you get started, address any problems, and answer any questions about the contest.

Third, we’ve started collecting relevant posts from around our community about underhandedness in Rust, and the various things we can do to resist them.

Questions from the community

We’ve had a few variations of the same question:

• Does my submission have to steal fractions of a penny over multiple requests, or can it steal in one large transaction?
  • Can I directly attack another account rather than shave pennies off each transaction?
  • Can I directly target account to account transfers instead of capturing some pennies off each transaction?

The answer to all of these is yes, this is fine. We are pretty open to how you want to get rich with these attacks. The narrative we setup is about getting you in the spirit of the game, but we’re more interested in your underhandness than staying perfectly in our story.

• Can I disable ASLR or other safety mechanisms?

Yes, that’s fine, but you might lose some points. However, if you can come up with a plausible justification why disabled these mechanisms, you’ll gain points. Because we’re a systems language, there will always be situations where safety valves will need to be turned off, but our community needs to make sure we have good explanations of when this is actually needed, and when it’s highly suspicious.

• I wonder if simply being vulnerable to SQL injection counts.

Yes, we’d love to see classic attacks like this!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to either ask on underhanded@rust-lang.org, or on our IRC channels #rust-community or #underhanded-rust.

Have fun causing trouble!